2018 Ford Explorer (Base, TLX, Limited, Sport & Platinum )
Ford has shifted the Explorer from Midsized to Full Size SUV, in the updated 2018 Explorer lot of design cues has been taken from Land Rover and now it is a gigantic, aggressive and Phenomenal looking vehicle. So many updates have been done in 2018 year model with some additional features and packages. (Read further)
Design Dynamics of Ford Explorer:
There are five different trim levels of Explorer (Base, TLX, Limited, Sport & Platinum) while all the trims has many design cues as standard & optional.
In 2018 year model of Explorer low beam LED headlamps with automatic functionality are standard on ever trim level while signature lighting & fog lamps are standard on XLT and above. All the trims have different Grill as well; base trim and XLT have chrome vertical bars, sports trim get Black mesh front grill however Limited and Platinum have different design for grill. All the trims levels have many other differences on exterior as well;
- Base: Black door handles & side Mirrors
- XLT & Sport: body color Door handles, Gloss black side Mirrors with turn indicators
- Limited: Body colored Side Mirrors
- Platinum: Chrome Cap side Mirrors and Chrome Door Handles.
- Roof rails are standard on XLT and above.
- 18 inch aluminum alloy wheels are standard on Base & XLT trim while sport and above have 20 inch wheels with different styling.
- LED tail lights are standard with all trim levels
- Dual Exhaust outlets standard with first two engines (check below) but with 3rd twin turbo v6 you get dual exhaust outlets with quad tips which is also the new setup for this year.
Interior of Explorer feels uninspired compared to other ford products; it is not much futuristic and has many quality control issues related to finishing.
- Base and XLT trims has cloth seats as standard, limited and above have leather seats as standard while leather seats are optional on XLT trim as well.
- Base & XLT: Standard sink system with 6 speakers (has no android auto & apple car play), sink 3 optional on XLT as well.
- Limited & Up: Power adjustable Steering wheel, push button start, ambient lighting and sink 3 system are standard. (Sink 3 has android auto, apple car play and 12 Speakers)
- Twin paneled moon roof standard on Platinum trim while optional on XLT, Sport & limited trim.
Engine, Power & fuel economy:
There are three different engines available with ford Explorer;
3.5 liter naturally aspirated V6 belong to Base and XLT trim, it produces 290hp@6500rpm and 255lbft@4000rpm of torque. It has option for both front wheel drive & all wheel drive system, with FWD (17 city & 24 highway mpg) and with AWD system (16 city & 22 Highway mpg).
2.3 liter turbo charged four cylinders engine is standard on Limited and optional on XLT it produces 280hp@5600rpm and 310lbft@3000rpm torque. Fuel Economy (FWD: 19 city & 27 highway) (AWD: 18 city & 25 highway).
3.6 Liter twin turbo charged V6 engine is standard on Sport & Platinum trim, it produces 365hp@5500rpm and 350lbft@3500rpm torque. It supports only four wheel drive system (fuel economy: 16 city & 22 highway)
Sport trim has paddle shifter with impressive & quick response, Gas pressure twin turbo shock absorbers work well and absorb the imperfections of the to some extent. Four wheels drive comes with traction management system which can be controlled via circular dial just behind the shifter.
- Driving Modes: Normal, Mud-rain & sand, (changing the modes effect the throttle response, shift points & greatly affect its stability control).
- Visibility: 3rd rows headrest can hinder the visibility but if you have no passengers in third row and by pushing the head rests down you can get better visibility.
Comfort & Space:
It has lot of space inside where 2nd row is enough spacious for 6 feet passengers while 3rd row has less leg room and probably more suitable for children’s. Has good amount of space behind the third row for luggage moreover power folding for 3rd row comes standard with limited trim and above.
- Rear seats have separate climate control options for limited & above trims while roof mounted ventilation is for all three rows with every single trim level.
- Limited & above trim: Heated and ventilated front seats, steering wheel & 2nd row heated seats.
There has been introduced a new package for 2018 year (safe and smart Package with extra 1295 $) it includes:
- Rain sensing wind shield wipers
- Automatic high beam control
- Blind spot monitoring system with rear cross traffic alert
- Lane keep assist
- Adaptive cruise control system
- Forward collision warning & Brake support.
Base trim starts: 32,140$
XLT starts: 34,175 $
Limited trim starts: 42,090$
Sport starts: 45,950 $
Platinum starts: 53,940 $
- Great Exterior Design
- Optional features
- 2nd row is spacious and comfortable
- Interior finishing
- Navigation override when plug in android or apple phone
- Interior design is uninspired