BMW 2 series gran coupe 1st generation
BMW is setting up high competition in Pakistani market, a year back company was introduced luxury BMW X7 SUV right after 1 year of international launch and now BMW gran coupe that was introduce last year 2019 in October during los Angeles auto show has been taken to Pakistan which is now displayed at park town showroom in Karachi.
This is a subcompact executive car available with either front wheel drive or all wheel drive with three different engine options including two petrol options and one diesel. This is a unique styled car with the space of sedan and body of a sporty coupe, means it is more the combination of saloon and coupe that not only gives the sporty looks and driving experience but also full fills the requirements of Pakistani community, if being said it’s more like the BMW 1 series with a sloppy roof while having four doors and spacious interior that will not be wrong. This vehicle based on UKL platform which is a modular architecture to suit a range of front and four wheel drive models.
Trims & Versions:
BMW 2 series gran coupe is available with three different engines including Sport M-218i 1.5 liter petrol engine, M-220d 2.0 liter four cylinder diesel engine and sporty version M235i which is a 2.0 liter turbo petrol engine.
Models available in Pakistan:
BMW gran coupe M sport model has distinctive 18 inch M light alloy wheels and for sporty experience M sport suspension and steering wheel, also added park distance control. More on the interior adds sport seats in “cloth trigon sensatec” and instrument cluster with M specific display.
Model Luxury Line:
Luxury Exterior with addition of satinised aluminum on exterior, black high gloss LED fog lamps and grille while inside it has leather Dakota seats, Decorative stitching on instrument panel and interior finishing in illuminated Nice.
Grille fence in chrome high gloss, use of Black gloss on front and rear with 17 inch double spoke style wheels while on the interior aluminum insert, interior finishing is illuminated Berlin.
It is the standard version having standard features with park distance control, storage compartment package and cruise control with braking.
Engine & Power:
218i Petrol engine: (Top Speed 213 km/h)
It is a 1.5 liter three cylinder turbo engine that generates 138 Horse power@ 4600-6500 rpm with maximum torque of 420nm@1480-4200prm paired with either six speed manual or automatic transmission. With this engine gran coupe accelerate form 0-100 km/h in 8.7 seconds and gives fuel economy of 47 miles per gallon combined.
228i Diesel Engine: (Top Speed 233 km/h)
It is a 2.0 liter four cylinder turbo engine that generates 228 hp@5000-6000rpm with maximum torque of 350nm@1450-4500 rpm paired with 8 speed automatic transmission. It takes 7.5 seconds to accelerate 0-100 km/h and gives the fuel economy of 58 miles per gallon combined.
M23i Petrol engine: (Top Speed 250km/h)
It is a 2 liter four cylinder turbo engine that generates 302 hp@5000-6250 rpm with maximum torque of 450 nm@1750-4500rpm paired with eight speed automatic transmission. It takes 4.8 seconds to accelerate from 0-600 km/h and gives the fuel economy of 37 miles per gallon combined.
1.5 liter petrol and 2.0 liter diesel carry front wheel drive system while M235i (305hp) works with all wheel drive system.
Base engine 218i creates enough power to drive it with its sporty behavior, this engine is the best suitable for travelling within town while having good fuel economy, furthermore it doesn’t feel slow in any way. But if you travel on highway more often than 228i will satisfy majority of the diving needs. In the corners its turn swiftly because of its quick reactions and with nimble steering wheel it’s really a fun to drive vehicle, According to autocar.co.uk this new grand coupe is softer than 1 series which makes it more suitable for cruising, With good driving position and quick response it feels lighter and become best daily commute. The sporty trim M235i of grand coupe is much quicker than other two trims with capability of 0-60mph in Just 4.8 seconds, M235i with optional adaptive suspensions stay even more comfortable on ragged surfaces but comfort is directly linked to adaptive suspensions but all the trims has soft suspensions those give soft ride. You may hear road and wind noise but still the interior remain enough quiet to let you do conversation even at high speeds.
Exterior Design & features:
BMW Gran Coupe is truly intended to give sporty experience not because of its sporty driving nature but as well as because of its exterior design. As like the most of the new BMW vehicles Grand coupe grille is not so big but decent sized and the major impression on the front is because of its eye shaped full LED headlights with Halos serving as day time running lights. Aerodynamic body design with sloping roof makes it look even sportier. Basic Trims are equipped with 19 inches alloy wheels as standard while higher 235i xdrive sporty trim has 18 inches wheels.
Other Exterior features:
- Electric windows – front and rear, with open/close fingertip control and trap release
- Preparation for high beam assistant
- High gloss black B pillar finish
- Kidney grille with 14 chrome high gloss black vertical bars
- Chrome exhaust single tailpipe, round
- Rear bumper in Body color with exclusive Sport design elements finished in High gloss Black
- Front bumper in Body color with exclusive Sport air inlets finished in High gloss Black
- Front door sill finishers in black plastic with BMW designation
- Fading support
- Heated, electrically adjustable exterior mirror aspheric on driver side, convex on passenger side
- Trailer stability control
- Direction indicator side lights integrated exterior mirrors
- Automatically dimming rear view mirror
- Reversing light in rear light cluster
- Model designation on right side of tailgate
- High gloss shadow line exterior trim
- Rain sensor with automatic headlight activation
- Front and rear bumper system with replaceable deformation elements
- Rear fog lights
- LED front fog lights
- Body color mirror caps
- LED daytime running lights
- Follow me home headlights
- High level third brake light
- Active aerodynamics
- Body color door handles
Interior Design & features:
Interior design and quality is not deniable even though it didn’t match its rival Mercedes; overall interior is composed of high quality soft touch plastic but seats trim vary from model to model that has been given under the trim features above in the article. Front power adjustable seats are both in favor of driver and passenger with maximum comfort and visibility and the rear seats are also enough comfortable to spend lot of time travelling (with generous head and leg room). Lower trims have 8.8 inches infotainment screen as standard while the higher trims equipped with 10.25 inch standard (featuring android auto & apple car play). Overall interior and quality is great which clearly depicts the improvement over the older 2 series coupe, inside Ambient light and leather seats are available in higher trims only. As we know that coupe’s usually not have good trunk space but four door coupes ads more trunk space like traditional sedans so does with grand coupe that has 75 cubic feet of generous truck space which is more than Audi A3 Sedan.
Interior features List:
- Front Armrest foldable with integrated storage compartment
- Sun visors with vanity mirrors and insert tab
- Manually adjustment steering wheel column
- Front and rear side armrests integrated into door trim
- Front centre interior light over interior mirror and rear centre automatic interior light when door is opened/ignition switched off or via remote key
- Child seat ISOFIX attachment for two outer rear seats and front passenger seat with anchorage points
- Automatic two zone climate control air conditioning
- Conditioned Based Service
- Through loading system with 40/20/40 split folding rear seat
- 3 spoke sports leather steering wheel with black stitching
- Two lashing eyes
- 12V power socket in centre console
- Welcome lighting
- Anthracite floor mats
- Multi-function controls for steering wheel
- 2 cup holders in front centre console
- Front sports seats with electric side bolster adjustment
- Glove compartment
- Glovebox with light
- Front head restraints
- Luggage compartment lighting
- Front and rear door pockets
- 3 rear seat head restraints
As it launched in the 2nd half of 2019 so internationally it has not yet been rated or tested by eith IIHS or NHTSA.
Safety Features List:
- Anti lock braking system (ABS) with cornering brake control
- Crash sensor activating of airbags,Unlocking doors,hazard warning lights,fuel cut off,interior lighting+activation of safety battery terminal clamp
- City braking function
- Three point seat belts on all seats including front belt stopper, pyrotechnic belt tensioners and belt force limiters
- Dynamic stability control + (DSC+)
- Electrically operated hand brake
- Airbag – Front driver and passenger, front and rear head, front side, curtain head protection, manual deactivation of front passenger airbag possible
- Seat belt security check for driver and front passenger
- Rear brake discs
- Braking readiness
- 2 tone horn
- Brake drying
- Dynamic Traction Control – DTC
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Rear child proof door locks
- Warning triangle and first aid kit
- Seatbelt warning
- Ventilated front disc brakes
- Side impact protection
In Pakistan Price of the Gran Coupe Ranges from 12-15 Million Depending upon the Trim Level.