2024 Volkswagen Arteon
- 1st Generation
- Sold in the USA = 2019-Present
- Overall Rating = 8/10
- Build Your Volkswagen Arteon Online
2024 Volkswagen Arteon Price in the USA
|49,669 $ (Start Price)
|SEL R-Line with 4MOTION
|49,689 $ (Start Price)
|SEL R-Line Premium with 4MOTION
|51,766 $ (Start Price)
The Volkswagen Arteon is a midsize luxury sedan produced by the German automaker Volkswagen. It was first introduced in 2017 as a replacement for the Volkswagen CC. The Arteon is positioned as a premium offering within the Volkswagen lineup and is known for its stylish design, spacious interior, and advanced technology features. The Arteon continues into 2024 with only a few minor changes, but it’s worth noting that they’ve removed the base model that used to be front-wheel-drive. This spacious five-door car, which is a hatchback, offers a sleek and stylish appearance. It surprises with its large cargo area, resembling that of an SUV. The front of the car might appear a bit busy compared to the rest of its streamlined body, but the Arteon still manages to turn heads and make people take a second look. Volkswagen sells roughly as many Tiguans in a day as they do Arteons in a whole month. Volkswagen has decided to halt the production of this stylish full-size sedan. They’re shifting their attention to vehicles that sell better, and as a result, the 2024 model year will be the final one for the Arteon.
Trims & Variants:
The Volkswagen Arteon is available in three Major variants: SEL-R-Line, SEL R-Line Premium, and SEL Premium R-Line with 4 Motion.
- Volkswagen Arteon SE: This is typically the base trim level, offering a range of standard features including a turbocharged engine, an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, blind-spot monitoring, and more.
- Volkswagen Arteon SEL: The SEL trim usually adds features like a larger touchscreen display, adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, leather upholstery, and other premium amenities.
- Volkswagen Arteon SEL R-Line: This trim may come with sportier styling elements and R-Line badging, along with additional features like sport-tuned suspension for a more dynamic driving experience.
- Volkswagen Arteon SEL Premium: The SEL Premium trim is typically the highest available trim level, offering even more luxury features such as a premium audio system, a panoramic sunroof, ventilated front seats, and advanced driver-assistance technologies.
- Volkswagen Arteon R: The Arteon R is a performance-oriented variant, featuring a more powerful engine, sport-tuned suspension, and other performance enhancements. It’s designed for those who prioritize sporty driving dynamics.
- Volkswagen Arteon Shooting Brake: In some markets, Volkswagen offers the Arteon Shooting Brake, which is a wagon-like version of the Arteon with additional cargo space and a unique design.
- Volkswagen Arteon eHybrid (PHEV): Depending on the market, Volkswagen may offer a plug-in hybrid version of the Arteon, known as the Arteon eHybrid. This variant combines a gasoline engine with an electric motor for improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.
- Volkswagen Arteon SEL R-Line 4Motion: Some Arteon models come equipped with Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel-drive system, providing better traction and stability in various driving conditions.
Engine & Powertrain:
In 2024, there’s only one engine choice available, a 2.0-liter turbo-4 with 300 horsepower. It generates 295 pounds-feet of torque. This engine sends power to all four wheels using a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. The SE model comes exclusively with front-wheel drive, while the SEL and SEL Premium versions include all-wheel drive as standard.
Performance & Drive:
The 2024 Volkswagen Arteon offers a respectable level of performance, with a focus on a balanced combination of power, handling, and comfort. The car features adaptive suspension dampers that can automatically adjust to your driving style, or you can manually switch between Comfort, Normal, or Sport modes. The Arteon typically provides a comfortable ride, especially in Comfort mode. It’s suitable for long-distance cruising and daily commuting, balancing performance with comfort. The steering of the Arteon is precise, similar to the highly regarded Golf GTI. It does have some quickness to it, with the ability to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.6 seconds and complete a quarter-mile run in 13.3 seconds at 103 mph during our test track evaluation. According to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), they have estimated that front-wheel drive 2023 Arteon models can achieve fuel economy of approximately 25 miles per gallon in city driving and 33 miles per gallon on the highway. For all-wheel-drive models, the estimated fuel efficiency is about 22 miles per gallon in the city and 31 miles per gallon on the highway. The latest model of Volkswagen Arteon delivers similar fuel efficiency. The Arteon maintains a balanced and composed demeanor when taking corners. Its chassis is well-tuned to provide stability and control, making it a confident handler. It offers a level of agility and handling that enthusiasts can appreciate. In models equipped with Volkswagen’s 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system, the Arteon gains improved traction and stability, particularly in challenging road conditions such as wet or slippery surfaces. This enhances its overall handling capability. The Volkswagen Arteon has a well-engineered braking system that provides effective and reliable stopping power. The braking system consists of several key components, including brake discs (rotors) and brake pads. The Arteon usually features disc brakes on all four wheels for efficient and consistent braking performance. The Arteon is equipped with an Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), which is a safety feature that helps prevent wheel lockup during hard braking. ABS allows the driver to maintain steering control while applying maximum braking force, reducing the risk of skidding and maintaining stability. The Arteon includes Brake Assist, which is designed to detect emergency or panic braking situations and provide additional braking force if the driver hasn’t applied sufficient pressure on the brake pedal. This feature aids in shortening the stopping distance in critical situations.
Exterior Design & Features:
The Volkswagen Arteon is known for its distinctive and stylish exterior design. The Volkswagen Arteon features a sleek and modern appearance that sets it apart from other sedans. The most noticeable feature of the Arteon is its sweeping fastback-style silhouette. It has a coupe-like roofline that flows seamlessly into the car’s rear, giving it a sporty and elegant look. The front end of the Arteon typically features a bold and eye-catching grille. It often incorporates chrome accents and horizontal slats, giving it a premium and upscale appearance. The grille has sleek LED headlights that enhance the car’s visual appeal. The body of the Arteon has clean and smooth lines that contribute to its aerodynamic profile. The Arteon offers a variety of wheel sizes and designs, ranging from 18-inch to 20-inch alloy wheels. The Arteon’s rear features an integrated spoiler that not only adds to the car’s sporty appearance but also contributes to aerodynamic efficiency.
Interior Design & Features:
The Arteon’s interior is filled with high-quality materials. The front seats accommodate two tall individuals, each around six feet. The rear seats are just as accommodating, and there’s notably more legroom than the older Volkswagen Passat sedan. The Arteon offers a generous 27 cubic feet of cargo capacity. Every Arteon comes with an 8.0-inch touchscreen for its infotainment system as standard. You use it mainly by tapping on the screen, and it’s worth noting that there’s no physical volume knob, though there are touch-sensitive controls on the heated steering wheel for convenience. The car also includes two USB ports, and it supports wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, meaning you can connect your smartphone without plugging in a cable. If you opt for the SEL trim, you get built-in navigation, and the SEL Premium takes it up a notch with a high-quality Harman/Kardon audio system for a premium sound experience.
Safety & Features:
The Volkswagen Arteon offers safety features right out of the gate. It includes a set of driver assistance technologies as standard. These features include Automatic High Beam headlights, Adaptive Cruise Control, a system that recognizes road signs, and Automatic Emergency Braking. It offers a comprehensive package of safety tools to help keep you secure on the road.
Pros & Cons:
- Stylish Design: The Arteon is known for its sleek and modern exterior design, which sets it apart from other sedans. Its fastback-style silhouette and distinctive grille make it visually appealing.
- Spacious Interior: The Arteon offers ample interior space, especially in the rear seats, with more legroom than some competitors. It also boasts a generous cargo capacity, making it practical for everyday use.
- Advanced Technology: The car comes equipped with a range of advanced technology features, including an 8.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with support for wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as available features like built-in navigation and a premium Harman/Kardon audio system.
- Balanced Performance: The Arteon offers a balanced combination of power, handling, and comfort. It features adaptive suspension dampers that can adjust to different driving styles, and it provides a comfortable ride for long-distance cruising.
- Handling and Agility: The Arteon’s chassis is well-tuned for stability and control, making it a confident handler, especially in models equipped with the 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system.
- Safety Features: The Arteon comes with a comprehensive set of safety features, including Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatic Emergency Braking, Automatic High Beam headlights, and a system that recognizes road signs.
- Limited Engine Choice: In 2024, there’s only one engine choice available, a 2.0-liter turbo-4 with 300 horsepower. While this engine offers good performance, some competitors may offer a wider range of engine options.
- Fuel Efficiency: The estimated fuel efficiency of the Arteon, especially in all-wheel-drive models, may not be as high as some other midsize sedans. Fuel economy is an important consideration for some buyers.
- Busy Front Design: Some reviewers have noted that the front of the Arteon can appear busy compared to the rest of its streamlined body, which is a matter of personal preference.
- Limited Availability: Volkswagen has decided to halt the production of the Arteon due to lower sales compared to other models. As a result, the Arteon may become less widely available in the future.
- Lack of a Base Model: The base model with front-wheel drive has been removed from the lineup for 2024, which may limit the entry-level options for potential buyers.
- Competitive Segment: The midsize luxury sedan segment is highly competitive, with many strong contenders from other automakers. The Arteon faces competition from well-established rivals.
The Volkswagen Arteon is a stylish and spacious midsize luxury sedan that offers a comfortable and well-balanced driving experience. It boasts a distinctive exterior design with a sweeping fastback silhouette and a well-appointed interior with ample legroom and cargo capacity. The available trims and variants cater to a range of preferences, from the base SE to the performance-oriented Arteon R. The inclusion of advanced technology features, including a user-friendly infotainment system with wireless smartphone integration, adds to its appeal. However, the discontinuation of the base front-wheel-drive model may limit entry-level options for potential buyers. Despite this, the Arteon’s combination of style, performance, and safety features makes it a competitive choice in the midsize luxury sedan segment, especially for those who value a unique design and spacious interior.
- Audi A5 Sportback: The Audi A5 Sportback offers a similar blend of style and practicality with a sleek design and a premium interior. It’s available with various engine options and Audi’s Quattro all-wheel-drive system.
- BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe: BMW’s 4 Series Gran Coupe is a stylish four-door coupe with a range of engines, including high-performance M models. It’s known for its sporty driving dynamics and luxurious interior.
- Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class: The Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class is a compact luxury sedan with a stylish design and a well-appointed interior. It offers various powertrains, including AMG performance models.
- Genesis G70: The Genesis G70 is a relatively new entrant in the luxury sedan market, but it has gained recognition for its sharp handling, upscale interior, and competitive pricing.
- Lexus ES: The Lexus ES is known for its smooth and comfortable ride, high-quality interior materials, and a reputation for reliability. It’s available with hybrid powertrain options.
- Acura TLX: The Acura TLX offers a combination of sportiness and luxury, with a focus on precision handling. It comes with advanced safety features and optional all-wheel drive.
- Volvo S60: The Volvo S60 is known for its Scandinavian design, comfortable seats, and a strong emphasis on safety technology. It offers a range of powertrains, including plug-in hybrid options.
- Infiniti Q50: The Infiniti Q50 is a midsize luxury sedan with distinctive styling and available with both rear-wheel and all-wheel drive. It’s known for its engaging handling and powerful engine options.