2020-2022 Hyundai i20 (3rd Generation)
Hyundai i20 is a super mini hatchback with front engine and front wheel drive system that sits between i10 and i30 vehicles of Hyundai and is in production since 2008. First time this vehicle was made its debut in Paris motor show 2008 and until now i20 has been entered into its 3rd generation. The 3rd generation of Hyundai i20 was unveiled online on February 2020 because of covid 19 crises and this new generation is more in length and much near to the ground than its previous generation.
Trims & Versions:
Just like its competitors Hyundai i20 provides lot of options to the customers with five different versions and four different engines. Five versions of Hyundai i20 includes; Element, SE Connect, , Premium, Ultimate, & N Line.
- Element: is the Base trim that has standard features including 16″ Alloy Wheels, Parking Sensors – Rear, Rear View Camera, Phone Connection – Android Auto™, Phone Connection & Apple CarPlay.
- SE Connect: equipped with 16″ Alloy Wheels, Parking Sensors – Rear, Rear View Camera, Phone Connection – Android Auto™, Phone Connection – Apple CarPlay.
- Premium: 10.25″ Supervision Cluster, 17″ Alloy Wheels, eCall, 10.25″ Navigation System with Bluelink, Interior Blue Ambient Mood Lighting.
- Ultimate: Smart Key – Keyless Entry with Engine Start/Stop Button, Wireless Phone Charging Pad, Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW), Phantom Black Two Tone Roof, Interior – Black / Grey.
- N Line: Sat Nav and Live data, Traffic updates, Smartphone mirroring capabilities and 16 inch alloy wheels.
Engine & power:
Hyundai i20 is available with four different petrol engines among which two are 1.0 T-GDI and two are 1.2 MPI.
T-GDI 100 (HP):
Equipped with 3 cylinder turbo charged engine that generates 100hp@4500rpm with maximum torque of 172nm@1500rpm paired with either 5 speeds manual or 7 speed automatic transmission. Top speed of vehicle with this engine is 177 Miles per hour while it takes 11.4 seconds to accelerate from 0-62 mph and gives the fuel efficiency of 49.6 MPG.
T-GDI 120 (HP):
Equipped with 3 cylinder turbo engine generates 120hp@6000rpm with maximum torque of 172nm@1500rpm paired with 6 speed manual transmission only. Top speed with this is 118 MPH and takes 10.2 seconds to accelerate from 0-60 MPH and gives the fuel efficiency of 46.3 MPG.
1.2 MPI 75 (HP):
1.2 liter four cylinders fuel injection engine generates 75hp@4500rpm with maximum torque of 12nm@4000rpm paired with 5 speeds manual transmission. Top speed with this is 99 MPH and accelerates from 0-60 in 13.6 seconds and gives the fuel economy of 46.3 MPG.
1.2 MPI 84 (HP):
Generates 84Hp@6000rpm with maximum torque of 122nm@4000rpm and paired with 5 speed manual transmission. Top speed is 106 MPH and accelerates from 0-60 in 12.8 seconds while gives the fuel economy of 46.3 MPG combined.
Performance & Drive:
Availability of four engines makes it versatile and gives more options according to your driving needs, if you mostly stay in the town than 1.2 liter MPI engines are more suitable for you according to your needs because it give better fuel economy and with light steering wheel maneuver In the town becomes easy but with increase of fuel economy means under powered Driving.
If you usually travel on highway than 1.0 liter 3 cylinder turbo engine is more reasonable because it doesn’t feel much under powered and with quick acceleration it helps lot. Fuel economy decreases but there is not major difference between the economy of MPI and Turbo’s.
MPI engines are smooth and generates less sound while with turbo you can feel little bit of sound inside but not much as most of small engine generates the sound. At high speeds you can hear the wind sound but most of the time interior remain quiet and sound is relatively the same as other hatchback cars. Overall ride is comfortable and you may rarely feel bumps usually on really dirty roads.
Exterior Design & features:
3rd generation exterior changed lot from the previous; front of the vehicle is more bold and have bigger grille while fog lights style has also been changed from the previous. Front bumper has separation line that gives it a unique sporty looks and addition of day time running lights also made in this generation. Side lines are more visible and overall length of the vehicle has increased as well. This 3rd generation i20 based on Hyundai’s latest “sensuous sportiness design philosophy”
Other Exterior Features:
- Automatic headlights with Dusk sensor
- Electrically adjustable side mirrors
- Day time running lights
- Body colored bumpers
- Adjustable intermittent wipers
- Tinted windows
- Body colored door handlers
- Body colored door mirrors
- Rear wipers
- Electric front windows.
Interior Design & features:
Interior of Hyundai i20 do not have lot of color schemes but simple black layout, it is decent and also have use of quality material inside. Soft touch plastic has used on many places inside especially on dashboard while the leather wrapped steering wheel is standard in SE and higher trims. 7 inch infotainment screen with apple play and android auto is standard among all the trims while other than this most noticeable thing is the nicely laid layout where everything is fairly in the reach with easy use.
Infotainment screen has bright and sharp colors and with phone integration navigation becomes easy as well. According to autoexpress.co.uk Hyundai i20 interior is called the best in this class while the other websites are considering VW Polo and SEAT Ibiza interior even more adorable. Visibility and space also god in i20 where headroom and legroom is enough for six foot tall adults but because of spacious interior boot space has declined and obviously not the best in the class.
Driver’s seat height is adjustable while all the other seats are comfortable as well. Lumbar support is available in higher trims only if compared with competitors 326 liters boot space is still ahead of Vauxhall corsa and ford fiesta.
Other interior features:
- 12V socket in centre console
- Sunvisors with vanity mirrors
- Front seat back storage pockets
- Satin chrome interior door handles
- 60/40 split folding rear seat
- Isofix rear child seat preparation
- Glove compartment
- Bottle holders
- Height/reach adjustable steering column
- Adjustable head restraints
- Front cup holders
- Luggage compartment lighting
- Parcel shelf
- Luggage hooks
- Front door pockets
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Cloth upholstery
- Rear headrests
- Air conditioning
Safety & features:
In 2009 Hyundai i20 was selected among top five safest cars by NCAP’s while the current generation followed the predecessor and with good standard equipments and safety technology gets the four star ratings out of five. If you are looking to buy i20 than directly jump to SE because SE and upward trims comes standard with front fog lights, LED day time running lights, high beam assistance, Rear parking sensors, automatic emergency braking, Lane departure warning, Driver attention warning.
Other Safety features:
- Hill start assist control (HAC)
- 3×3 point rear seatbelts
- Driver/Front Passenger airbags
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Curtain airbags
- Electronic Stability Programme
- Active front headrests
- Passenger airbag deactivate switch
- Childproof rear door locks
- Anti-lock Brake System and Electronic Brake force Distribution
- Fasten seatbelt reminder
- Front side airbags
- Front seatbelt pre-tensioners
- Suzuki Swift
- Suzuki Baleno
- Tata Tiago
- Hyundai Grand i10
- Ford Fiesta
- Renault Clio
- Kia Rio
- Vauxhall Corsa
- Toyota Yaris Hatch
- Volkswagen Polo
Hyundai i20 Current Pricing in UK:
- Element: From £16,500
- SE Connect: From £18,800
- Premium starts: From £21,000
- Ultimate: From £22,300
- N Line: From £22,300